Welcome to the official Safe-T-Punch™
Science in service of safety.
Safe-T-Punch™ is a highly sophisticated patented device that has only one purpose – to break readily breakable safety glass in a scientifically proven reliable manner.
This performance tested device offers unsurpassed ability to any person in need of escape through an Emergency Window.
Safe-T-Punch™ can be retrofitted to any compliant designated emergency window. This cutting edge low tech safety technology is required for fitment to emergency windows as found in:- Buses, Taxies, Trains, Shipping vessels, River boats, Buildings, Mobile homes, Armored vehicles, Limousines, Cars, Trucks, Construction equipment, Yellow metal, Plant and machinery, Police cruisers, Ambulances, Emergency response vehicles and any environment where instant emergency egress may be of life saving importance.
- Safe-T-Punch™ is applicable to all countries that have adopted UN ECE R107.
- Safe-T-Punch is suitable as a means of creating an escape route from any toughened glass enclosed area. This includes road vehicles, rail cars and locomotives as well as marine vessels, plant and machinery and buildings
- It does not discriminate against the users age or ability and is not dependent on skill training or dexterity
- Hitting a red emergency button is universally recognized as an emergency action
- All vehicles are made in a similar manner
- All passengers share an equal right to be provided with emergency escape in the event of a disaster
- Supreme court evidence
- Sena Windows – long standing collaborative business relationship.
- Existing customers – MAN, Unitrans, Transnet (Trains), Fastenal
- Press articles
The simple solution
All readily-breakable safety glass emergency windows are required to be a specified size, glass type (UN ECE R43 toughened glass) and be suitably located. These readily-breakable window panes are weather proof and permanently fitted in the chassis window openings. It is therefore, a logical choice to satisfy the above technical requirements by allowing for new and existing conforming windows to be equipped with a Safe-T-Punch™ glass breaking device.
The UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) accepts the Safe-T-Punch™ device as fit for purpose and it conforms to the UN ECE R107 technical requirements for emergency windows and emergency hatches. Independent UKAS accredited performance tests confirm the efficacy of Safe-T-Punch™ to break readily-breakable safety glass.
The internationally tested Safe-T-Punch™ device and its homologated accompanying operating instructions are easily and permanently attached in its place of operation on the emergency window glass itself. Each Safe-T-Punch™ device is equipped with a removable security tag that prevents unintended activation.
Safe-T-Punch™ technology is suitable for single and double glazing readily-breakable emergency window applications. It is capable of breaking readily-breakable toughened safety glass of all varying thicknesses as required by the regulations. Safe-T-Punch™ works under water.
Using Safe-T-Punch™ is the easiest and most economical way to produce robust, low maintenance, fully compliant emergency windows that can be instantly operated by any person in an emergency.
Safe-T-Punch™ – Save Lives
The Current Regulations
UN ECE R107 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of category M2 or M3 vehicles with regard to their general construction:– Technical requirements for emergency windows.
“188.8.131.52.2. Be made of readily-breakable safety glass. This latter provision precludes the possibility of using panes of laminated glass or of plastic material. A device shall be provided adjacent to each emergency window, readily available to persons inside the vehicle, to ensure that each window can be broken.”
Safe-T-Punch™ STP50/40FA combination for Double or Multiple glazing
This combination is the gold standard when OE manufacturing new double glazed emergency window assemblies. Each glass layer is equipped with its own device as required by the regulations thereby ensuring the successful breaking of an otherwise difficult to break double or multiple glazing toughened glass emergency window assembly. Its 9mm profile is easily accommodated between glass layers with an airgap of 10mm or more.
Statement of fact
- Safe-T-Punch™ is new technology that takes Emergency Windows out of an era of unknowns.
- Safe-T-Punch™ is a Device not a modified hammer type tool
- Safe-T-Punch™ is scientific
- Safe-T-Punch™ is made from qualified materials
- Safe-T-Punch™ is the worlds most evaluated Emergency Window Device
- Safe-T-Punch™ is fit for purpose
- Safe-T-Punch™ is cost effective
- Safe-T-Punch™ is simple to install
- Safe-T-Punch™ – Save Money, Save Time, Save Lives
- Safe-T-Punch™ is deemed fit for purpose by the VCA UK
- DVSA outcome – A UK government department
- SABS Design Institute Awards – With a panel of judges comprising of engineers, Professors and many recognised astute members of the industrial design professions.
- Wintech test report and video- A UKAS accredited specialist glass testing facility.
- 100 000’s of Safe-T-Punch™ devices are in use globally
- 60-70% of buses operating in the UK are fitted with Safe-T-Punch™ devices.
- There are 1000’s of bus accidents every year, from minor to disastrous.
- There are many press reports of passengers who were still capable after an accident yet remained trapped inside the vehicle.
- We have written proof of and the testimony from a survivor of the 1985 Westdene bus disaster. In this submersion accident the emergency exits of the bus did not operate 42 high school children drowned as a result.
- Also see the 2003 Saulspoort bus disaster judicial enquiry where 51 adults drowned trapped inside a submerged bus.
- Recently in France 42 pensioners burned to death in a bus equipped with escape hammers.
- Millions of people are effected by emergency exits on a daily basis.
- 1000’s of capable innocent passengers have died when the emergency exits provided failed.
- The list of disasters is very long and still growing.
2007 Punch Systems Canada appointed as an agent
2008 First international sale of Safe-T-Punch to Wrightbus
2009 In South Africa UN ECE R107 is introduced for all taxies first registered after 1 July 2009 (SANS20107)
2014 New patents and design registrations in 42 countries (Europe, North America, Canada, Brazil, India, China, Russia, Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia, Israel and South Africa)
2016 ILR Safety CC achieves ISO9001:2008 Certification
2018 PLR Distribution Pty Ltd appointed as international distributor for Safe-T-Punch products,
2019 DVSA investigation into the efficacy of Safe-T-Punch
2020 ILR Safety achieves ISO9001:2015 certification
2020 Proud member of UITP : – PLR Distribution Pty Ltd South Africa www.uitp.org/members/
- There are thousands of bus accidents every year, from minor to disastrous.
- The risk of a disaster occurring is real and unpredictable.
- Many press reports tell of passengers who were unharmed after an accident yet remained trapped inside the vehicle.
- We have written proof of, and the testimony from a survivor, of the 1985 Westdene bus In this submersion accident the emergency exits of the bus did not operate and 42 high school children drowned as a result. See survivor testimony.
- 2003 Saulspoort dam bus disaster judicial enquiry where 51 adults drowned whilst trapped inside a submerged bus.
- 2011 Knysna bus disaster 12 primary school children drown behind emergency exit windows that had failed
- In France 43 pensioners burned to death in a bus equipped with escape hammers
- In 2019 a shopping mall fire in Kemerovo Siberia claimed the lives of 64 trapped people when the glass door emergency exits were found locked
The Safe-T-Punch™ advantage and benefit is clear.
SAFE-T-PUNCH™ Emergency Exit Device
Common Emergency Hammer
|Permanent Fitment to glass||Portable and subject to theft|
|Controlled robust mechanism||Unstable mechanism|
|Independent UKAS accredited Performance tested||No controlled and repeatable performance test possible|
|Measurable results||Unmeasurable results|
|Successfully operated by children (12yrs) and the elderly||Unsuccessfully handled by children and the elderly|
|Manufactured using strict ISO9001:2015 quality controls and risk assessments||Unknown quality controls applied|
|Easy, quick and cost effective to install||Costly and complex installation|
|Fully homologated||Compromised homologation|
|Tungsten carbide Impact tip is material suitability tested||Any steel tip|
|Operates and breaks toughened safety glass with 3 joules force application to ensure no injuries to the operator||No controlled angle of impact and strength testing possible, injuries not unlikely|
|Meets the American 270N force application as per FMVSS 217||Unknown, generally not accepted under FMVSS 217|
|Safe-T-Punch™ Saves lives||Escape hammers are questionable|